May 7, 2011

A passionate plea

Ardor II 
I’ve always liked words and some things haven’t changed. Just as I did when I was a child I still get fascinated by words, by the layers of direct and indirect content and just purely the sound of them. Some are exotic and complex, others have colors and taste while some are simple and basic. And every language has its own aura of words. English is my second language but the awareness and fascination is by the contrary even stronger.

Words are in many ways like spices and similar to cooking you know that too much of a spice can certainly kill a good meal just like too little makes the food bland and uninteresting. I got inspired to write about words today after reading the blog article from Jonathan Fields, and I sadly have to agree. In our modern times inflation hits hard some of our dearest words. And they are out there suffering the abuse and sometimes misunderstood use.
The word “Passion” has always had a secret place in my heart, not always sure where it has been hiding in-between the heart chambers but it’s always been there among other indescribable sacred words. And there I said it; indescribable which “Passion” should be. “Passion” is a feeling and a state of mind worthy of being the bridge in a passage of an Isabel Allende novel. “Passion” is like an indescribable sugar rush burning down your veins and it certainly doesn’t happen to you every day.  Actually the word origins from an ancient greek verb meaning "to suffer" and in medieval times the word was used as a reference to Christ’s suffering on the cross! This might explain why the word “Passion” has synonyms in several languages related to fever, heat and pain. So now you know a little bit more about why we have modern expressions like “Burning love” and “Sick of jealousy" as expressions for passionate love.

Nowadays “Passion” is everywhere after being hijacked and used in every culture and subculture you can think of related to written media and especially in advertising and marketing. It is certainly not the first time it has happened. There are many other words tired of the limelight. As an individual contributing to traditional arts and visual expressions another word that comes to mind is “creative” which is also sulking under too much exposure. I have found myself in situations where I have been asked to describe what I  do and my work and “creative” is ironically a word I try to avoid; simply because it does not measure up to its original intentions: creativity. I guess both “Passion” and “Creative” are running on empty.


One of the reasons I chose to write about this subject is the need for new impulses and refreshing perspectives in our choice of words and not always be tempted to follow down the latest written trend lane. After years in business with one foot planted in visual (creative) arts and the other planted in marketing I observe it from different perspectives and I do understand and support the need for some consistency and recognition effects especially related to advertising. But what is a little mindboggling to me is this: In previous times language and the written word were only for the chosen few. For centuries even only decades, written expressions were rather a bore, full of old school rules and regulations and certainly not an imaginative wordily landscape people enjoyed to be in; mostly visited for education and news. Under these circumstances the copywriters hit the stage dancing, swirling around expressions breathing new life into words, terms and slogans as if they were our times Cirque du Soliel on paper. They were writers who contributed to make language and the written word exciting again and for many a true inspiration on the same level as another all-time important source; literature.


The flow of words in our time is no less than massive. Another aspect is how languages and words will develop in the future due to the influence of new media. Nevertheless this makes it even more important especially for people with wordily influence to look for new perspectives, reload and inspire our vocabulary. There are still many talented writers and copywriters out there and once in a while I read or hear good copies that make me smile, but too many times it’s rather the opposite. While writing this article with primetime television in the background I just overheard the copy of an ad: “Innovative, Inspirational, Ground-breaking, Magic” Words worthy of describing a revolutionary science discovery are left to describe mass market consumer products. It makes me think of the old folk tale: “The Emperor’s new clothes”

Tip: There are several links in the article, check them out by clicking the bold colored outlined words.

No comments:

Post a Comment